Tuesday, April 27, 2010

PREVIEW: Offenbach's Orphée aux enfers by the City Opera of Hong Kong

While writing the preview on Manon (see PREVIEW: Massenet’s Manon by the Opera Hong Kong), I found out that there is another opera... well operetta... that's going to be staged in Hong Kong. This time it is by the City Opera of Hong Kong! Well, I have to say that this is the first time I have heard of this organization and I thought that I am the ultimate culture-vulture in Hong Kong!



Apparently, City Opera has presented Die Fledermaus last year! Again, I didn't know that. They had people like Vincent Chung, Amy Chan, Oliver Lo, Sylvia Chen, Thomas Chan, Julia Chen, etc sang (I assume); The Hong Kong Medical Association Orchestra played and Woo Zun Hin conducted. To be honest, I don't know any of them and have never heard of these people; BUT I am curious and will check them out.

My expectation is definitely very very low. I wouldn't be surprised that it will be a bad amateur production; but then, I hope I am wrong and also I believe in "encouragement"... So here it is:

Orphée aux enfers: An Operetta by Offenbach

Date: 9 June (Wed) & 10 June (Thu)
Venue: Hong Kong City Hall, Concert Hall
Time: 7:30pm
Tickets: $480, $380, $280


Tickets are available at all URBTIX outlets

NOTE:

City Opera will feature Cantonese dialogues whilst all the singing parts will remain to be in French. Seemingly, this aligns their "guiding principle to incorporate localized elements in opera performance." and "The fusion of language as a part of the dramatic treatment, together with the use of traditional French scenes as our set and props, will bring about another engaging and memorable performance to Hong Kong opera lovers."


For more information (actually, there's really no more significant information in these websites... but still, check if you don't believe me):


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home