Monday, June 28, 2010

POSTVIEW: Wu Guanzhong (1919-2010)

I first encountered Wu Guanzhong's work in the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza Beijing in mid-1990's. There was a fairly big gallery there and I love visiting it between meetings. One time, they had an exhibition of Wu's works and I was enthralled by it. I even took several pictures of the exhibition and tried to emulate his style with fantastic failure.



One day, when I visited the Shanghai Museum, Wu's works were also being exhibited. That was the time that I thought that I should know his name. I figured that if his works were in Beijing and Shanghai, he must be famous!



I love the impressionistic take of Wu using the Chinese painting techniques. I particularly remember how the roof of the houses in a Chinese village were distilled to patches of angled boxes in the painting. Yet in my eyes, I never doubted that what I was looking at was a Chinese village.

My first purchase of his work was not for myself. I was tasked to buy a gift for the retiring General Manager of the company that I was working for and I chose to buy a framed limited edition print of Wu's work.

Three weeks ago, I went to the Hong Kong Museum of Art to see an exhibition of his works and once again, fell in love with his works. Yesterday morning, when I got up and read the paper, I was very sad to find out that Wu has passed away. After lunch, I decided to visit the Hong Kong Musuem of Art hoping that there will be some kind of a tribute to him... well, there was none. In my own little way, this blog honors Wu Guanzhong, one of the greatest Chinese painter ever lived.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At June 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you can do some reseacrh and tell your readers where examples of his work can be seen. mark willimas

 
At June 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM , Blogger SATOSHI said...

His work is currently on exhibit at the Hong Kong Museum of Arts as mentioned in the blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home