Tuesday, July 27, 2010

SATOSHI on Weyman Lew (1935 - )

Late Thomas Albright, the influential art critic for the San Francisco Chronicle, decribed Weyman Lew's work as being "the sparest and most elegant of lines." And he went on to say, "Weyman Lew is one of the not very numerous artists who can take a line, have it do anything he wants to, and make the whole thing look as if it had simply drawn itself".



I accidentally stumbled upon Weyman Lew's work a few years ago, and since then was very intrigued with his works. A little bit of research has led me to finding out that he is from the Bay area and he is most probably still living there at the age of 75. His prints and sketches have been sold in the last 5 years for around US$100.

The slide show above was from the website of the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco. It was the catalogue that accompanied the exhibition "Weyman Lew: Of Peoples and Places" at the Center in 1991. The drawings are very good, but they are not, for me, the best and what really attracted me to him.



I LOVE his nudes. Weyman's nude was a daring reflection of his time. The three works from 1974 below are from the collection of the Fine Art Museums of San Francisco. Weyman has the unique ability to create beautifully balanced and composed lines that barely outline the figures and yet handled the perspective delicately so as not to render the subjects flat. There was no need for lights and shades.




According to the FAMSF website, Weyman Lew was born in San Francisco, received a degree from the University of California, Berkeley and studied at the San Francisco Art Institute. He has exhibited his drawings and paintings regularly in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
____

P.S. Here is a brief bio I found in the website of BHNY Fine Art: (September 4 2011)

Weyman Lew
(b. 1935)


Weyman Michael Lew is a painter and printmaker, born in San Francisco, California in 1935. He studied at the University of California, and the San Francisco Art Institute from 1965 to 1966 with Jay deFeo. His works are in the collection of De Young Memorial Museum; the Institution of Arte Contemporary in Lima, Peru; the Western American Artists Museum; and the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. He taught at De Young Memorial Museum of Art School in 1970 and 1971. He had a solo exhibition at the Western American Artists Museum in 1970, the Santa Barbara Museum of Art in 1971, and the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria in 1972. Weyman Lew has exhibited in more than forty solo exhibitions in North and South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. His works may be seen in public collections such as the M.H. de Young Memorial Museum; the Oakland Museum; the Achenbach Foundation for the Graphic Arts at the California Palace of Legion of Honor; the Brooklyn Museum, the Santa Barbara Museum; the University Art Museum in Berkeley; and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At July 27, 2010 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Philippine Pearl said...

Amazing art works. Thanks for writing about him. Is Lew of Chinese origin?

 
At July 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM , Blogger SATOSHI said...

I would think that he is Chinese American... mainly because I found his works in the Chinese Culture Center and also the fact that he was born in San Francisco. He is an amazing artist... I hope to find out more about him... follow this blog :-) I will definitely show more of his work... definitely...

 
At December 19, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Anonymous Dawn Bausch said...

Thank you for the detailed posting on Weymen Lew. I've acquired a beautiful nude painting on a ceramic plate, signed by him dated 1978. It is numbered but I cannot find any reference online to other works of his on ceramic. Do you know of such?

 
At December 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Blogger SATOSHI said...

HI DAWN! I have so far seen only one, please check the below link and see whether we are talking of the same piece. If it is the same, I will not be surprised to know that this is the only ones he made. If it is not the same, then I would love to see a picture of it :-)

https://picasaweb.google.com/110574230848516348087/TheCollection#5498535213469960050

 
At December 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM , Anonymous Dawn Bausch said...

It is the same! Mine had belonged to the late architect (and collector) Rolf E. Muenter who spent his last years here in Vermont.

 
At January 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM , Anonymous Jennie said...

Just happened upon your blog re: Weyman Lew. I have 3 artist proofs of his nude etchings when he was working many years ago at an art studio in Fort Mason, San Francisco, where I tried my hand at printmaking. They have been hanging on my walls for years. Like you, I appreciated his beautiful line drawings and watercolor accents. I lost track of him & wasn't aware of his exhibit at the Chinese Cultural Center. Thanks for any updates of his whereabouts and work.

 
At March 29, 2013 at 6:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have an ink/watercolor drawing of bathing beauties titled "Deck". We've loved it since 1980 when I bought it at the Walnut Creek Cooperative Art Gallery. It has hung in every home we have had since.

 
At October 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill & Karen Bolliger....

We have two of Weyman's prints, both acquired in San Francisco in 1977.

The prints are titled "Plum Moon" and "Mates" both are nudes.

I have been looking for a print titled "... come and get me shoes" same period, late seventies - any info would be appreciated.

 
At December 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed your post. I don't have that piece, however I do have a print by same artist titled "At the Millners" . If you have an intest please call me at 810-691-7318

 
At January 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM , Blogger Barbc said...

I have a print titled Bluebird 11/50 signed W. Lew. I haven't been able to find that print online. I love it. It took for ever to find any info on this artist since I didn't have his full name. I'd love more info on the print I have. I believe the way I found anything out was the art gallery it had been at was stamped on the back.

 
At January 8, 2014 at 4:31 AM , Anonymous Dave Gomberg said...

To Dawn Bausch: I believe that plate was the only ceramic he ever did. It was a fundraiser for a candidate he wanted to support. We have a couple of copies with original documentation. Dave 415-731-7793

 
At January 8, 2014 at 4:33 AM , Anonymous Dave Gomberg said...

We actually have quite a number of his works on paper, they are awe-inspiring. We met him thru a mutual artist friend, he is quite a guy.

 
At July 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have 2 Weyman Lew 4 Sale - Estate Liquidation Items
LEDA 18/50 and SWAN SONG 2 19/40
Mylifeinaz - Listed on eBay

 
At July 31, 2014 at 6:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one large print it said a/p 1/15 do you know what that is worth plum moon

 
At November 21, 2014 at 4:22 PM , Anonymous Stephanie P said...

I believe I have the same plate that Dawn refers to. The Picasa link is broken, so I cannot see it. Mine is numbered 249 on the back. I would love to have more information. Mine was a gift from a friend, who'd received it as a gift from another friend. It happens that we all live in the Bay Area too.

 
At December 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Toothless bearded hag ers bush said...

I have 4 of the plates; if anyone would like to add them to their collection. Does anyone know the number that were produced?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home