Thursday, July 22, 2010

SATOSHI on the 39th Hong Kong Arts Festival (2011)



The festival hightlights brochure of the 39th Hong Kong Arts Festival was waiting for me when I came home tonight and I can't wait to rave about it!



Personally, the biggest news is Cecilia Bartoli! If you are an opera lover and not one of those who live in the past, you should know the name. I am proud to declare that I have her every single CD! Ms. Bartoli is one of the most popular AND respected classical musician. Not only does she possess one of the most expressive and agile voice ever, she is also a respected scholar who has the power to re-evaluate and resurrect neglected composers and forgotten repertoire.


The New York City Ballet will be making their first appearance in Hong Kong. If I have to pick the world's top 5 ballet company, the NYCB may well be in it, but when it comes to George Balanchine and Jerome Robbins, NYCB may just be the no. 1!


Another must see (or listen in this case) is Masaaki Suzuki and Bach Collegium Japan. Their recordings of Bach are some of the best ever and this opportunity to hear them live is just too good to miss.


Next year's opera will be Wagner's Tristan und Isolde. I should have mentioned this earlier, but then I had both good and bad experiences with this long and beautiful opera. In good hands, this opera can be a life-altering musical experience, but in bad hands, it can be a 5-hour torture. For 2011, we will be seeing a production by the Leipzig Opera with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. Separately, the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra will be performing under the baton of Riccardo Chailly in two concerts.


Some of the other programs that I am really curious in are: Kurt Weill's The Threepenny Opera by the Berliner Ensemble from Germany, The Halle Orchestra with conductor Sir Mark Elder; and Peter Pan by the National Theatre of Scotland and barbicanbite 10.


Oh, did I mention Pina Bausch's Carnation by Tanztheater Wuppertal? The reality is that I can easily mention more programs!


Next year's festival will be an exciting one and I can't wait to hear about the full list of programmes to be announced on 6 October 2010.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At July 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM , Anonymous HT said...

Yes, agree the programme is one of the most exciting ones in recent years. It's going to make a serious dent in my wallet but can't wait, especially Pina Bausch!? The Arts Fest people seem to be really pulling out all the stops this year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home