Tuesday, November 2, 2010

PREVIEW: Symphony Under the Stars with HKPO

It is time for the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra’s Symphony Under the Stars again. The first time I attended this annual event was last year, two months after a very good friend of mine passed away suddenly. I thought that it would be nice to bring the executor of my friend’s will (who travelled all the way from Canada) to the event. The experience was not only memorable but also blown me away!


Being a subscriber to the HKPO, it was almost like a ritual to go to the concert hall on Saturdays and sit on the same seat solemnly. For Symphony Under the Stars, me and my friends sat on our picnic mat and enjoyed our olives, cheeses, hams, dips and Champagne; and just let the music wash over us. For once, I don’t care the little noises made around me or even whether the balance in the orchestra was to my liking or not… I just enjoyed life and was just very grateful that the experience was made available.

This year’s Symphony Under the Stars will be on November 26 at the Happy Valley Racecourse Recreation Ground. Perry So will be conducting and Moscow-born, Tel Aviv-raised Boris Giltburg will be the soloist. That night’s program is:

  • DVOŘÁK Carnival Overture
  • CHOPIN Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor
  • MUSSORGSKY (orch. RIMSKY-KORSAKOV) Khovanshchina: Act I: Prelude – Dawn over the Moscow River 
  • PROKOFIEV Selections from Romeo and Juliet Suites: Montagues & Capulets, Juliet the Girl, Morning Dance, Masks and Tybalt's Death
  • TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Festival Overture

To know more about this event, check-out HKPO's website:

http://www.hkpo.com/eng/concerts_and_ticket/concerts/concertdetail.jsp?id=216

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home