Sunday, April 17, 2011

Satoshi on Broadway, Off-Broadway and Way-Off Broadway


In a span of three-weeks, I have missed five shows, and gave up opportunity to inetrview Laurent Korcia, all in the name of work. Yes, that work that feeds my addiction to arts, while at the same time prohibits me from enjoying it.

So, despite am extremely busy work schedule, I am taking my pre-agreed 2.5 weeks of annual leave (mind you, a part of the leave is last year's) without guilt... well not really... But what can I do? Tickets are booked and I truly don't want and can't afford to miss them!

So with a brave face, I will be in New York in a few days time and will be watching 10 musicals in 7 days. Yes, no opera, no concert, no dance, just a week of Satoshi Musical Festival! Here they are:

- The Addams Family (Too bad that Nathan Lane is no longer in it, but I am really glad that I will still catch Bebe Neuwirth)
- The American Idiot (Not one of my priority shows, but please surprise me!)
- Rock of Ages (Also not one of my priority shows; but then there's not much else that I haven't seen... so please prove me wrong!)
- The Book of Mormons (Unexpected hit. I almost didn't have a ticket for this. Luckily, a few seats popped up after a few days of close monitoring.)
- People in the Picture (Because Donna Murphy is in it.)
- Anything Goes (A great musical plus a new production plus Sutton Foster & Joel Grey)
- Fantasticks (Alway intrigued by its longevity given the movie version was so-so)
- Wonderland (Very curious on what else can be said about Alice and her friends)
- Catch Me If You Can (the movie was not bad at all and funny enough, I do see its potential)
- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (Of course, Daniel Radcliffe. But even if he screw it up, I am sure to enjoy this Loesser musical)

After New York, I will be traveling to Philadelphia to attend its first annual Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts and will see the Philadelphia Orchestra doing an all Stravinsky concert with Charles Dutoit conducting and the world premiere of Bella, the Color of Love, a musical based on Chagall's muse.

Washington DC follows and hopefully I will get to see the National Symphony Orchestra with Kurt Masur and Sarah Chang playing Bruch; and also the world premiere run of the musical Liberty Smith.

Nothing happens after Washington until I hit Raleigh to fly back to New York. Interestingly, the North Carolina Theater is mounting Hello Dolly! with Cybill Shepherd... Cybill who? For those people of my age and background Cybill will be most probably be best known for the television series Moonlighting where she starred with Bruce Willis.

From Raleigh back to Faustus Hong Kong life :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home