Thursday, June 2, 2011

REVIEW: Sol Gabetta with HKPO


Hong Kong Cultural Centre Concert Hall, Saturday May 14

I am trying to catch up with my writing; thus I have to be short. In any case, I can't really write much about this concert and I think I shouldn't. Even though I have written notes in my programme, a review after almost three weeks is hardly reliable; and also I was dead tired and jet-lagged.


The highlight of this concert was no other than Sol Gabetta's Dvorak. In fact, without referring back to the programme, I can't even remember what it was paired with. The Shostakovich's Symphony No. 15 was decent. The first movement, with its references to Rossini's Guillaume Tell overture and some of Wagner's music, was taken a tad too seriously by maestro Dmitri Jurowski and I wished that it was a bit more gentle so that it can pave more contrast to the darkly sombre second movement.

In Dvorak's Cello Concerto, Gabetta's playing was first and foremost about the tone. Her's was rich, full and beautiful. In addition, her sympathy of interpretation and good command of the technical difficulties was breathtaking. What made her performance even more tremendous was the fact that the orchestra was playing WITH her. There was at no point I felt that the orchestra and the soloist was playing in two different levels. Jurowski took a lot of care to ensure that even in tutti, the orchestra was scaled in proportion to the soloist. That was good concerto accompanying.

_____
Dvorák’s Cello Concerto
13 & 14-5-2011
Fri & Sat 8PM
Hong Kong Cultural Centre Concert Hall

DVORÁK - Cello Concerto
(Sol Gabetta - cello)
SHOSTAKOVICH - Symphony No. 15

Dmitri Jurowski - conductor

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home