Thursday, April 18, 2013

REVIEW: Viva Verdi

It has come to a point that my review of the shows I have seen are so way overdue that I have no way of fully recovering from it. So here it is, I will just do a quick and more mini than mini review…

HK Cultural Centre Concert Hall, Friday March 22


2013 celebrates the 200th anniversary of the birth of Giuseppe Verdi (1813–1901) and the 41st Hong Kong Arts Festival celebrated it with an all-Verdi concert that featured maestro Roberto Abbado, together with the orchestra and chorus of Teatro di San Carlo. The evening successfully demonstrated the great extent of Verdi’s genius. The biggest surprise of the evening, however, was the chorus of Teatro di San Carlo. Having seen many choirs and choruses occupied the concert hall, I have to say that the chorus of Teatro di San Carlo exhibited the most power and command. While their affinity to the composer’s music must have contributed hugely, it was sheer glory to hear such fervor and empathy.

_____
VIVA VERDI

Programme:

Overture to Nabucco
Gli arredi festivi from Nabucco
Overture to Luisa Miller
Prelude to Attila
Prelude to Act 3 from I Lombardi alla Prima Crociata
O Signore dal tetto natio from I Lombardi alla Prima Crociata
Overture to La Forza del Destino
Overture to La Battaglia di Legnano
Vedi le fosche …Chi del gitano from Il Trovatore
Prelude to I Masnadieri
Libera me Domine from Requiem Mass (Soprano solo: MONICA TARONE)
Overture to I Vespri Siciliani
Va' pensiero from Nabucco

Conductor ROBERTO ABBADO
Choral Director SALVATORE CAPUTO

with the SAN CARLO ORCHESTRA and CHORUS

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home