Thursday, September 26, 2013

REVIEW: Michael Jackson, The Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil

AsiaWorld Expo, Saturday August 24

This show was so plain that I have totally forgotten to write a review about it. It was not until today when I scrolled through my Facebook posts that I saw what I said after seeing the show, "Cirque du Soleil's Michael Jackson Immortal is neither circus nor pop/rock performance... A bit disappointed... Oh well, my ticket was free..."


Cirque du Soleil is a unique organization and was a huge hit when it bursted into the entertainment arena. I first heard of them when I saw a feature of the company in the DANCE magazine decades ago when it was just starting. I believe the focus in the write-up was the costume and make-up design. Eventually, I had the fortune of seeing its ALEGRIA in Hong Kong. I was blown away! After that, I saw O in Las Vegas, and that was just unbelievaly fantastic. Since then, however, I saw QUIDAM and SALTIMBANCO in Hong Kong and ZAIA in Macau; and each, the magic just became weaker. Unfortunately, this show with unnecessarily long title had to be the worst of the lot.

Perhaps I just had an unreasonable expectation on the show. After all, it has the name Michael Jackson in it, followed with the exaltation IMMORTAL in the title. What I didn't expect was that it will be a show of the same old acrobatic acts with new costumes performed to the music of MJ! The music was predominantly canned, with key live intrumentation and back-up vocals; and the impact was really mediocre. There was a very odd imbalance visually and acoustically.

The acts were stale, while the signature dance pieces were executed blantly with performers who were not very good dancers actually. AND there was a pretend chimpanzee (which I assume was pretending to be Bubbles)... REALLY?

Simply said, it was a BAD SHOW!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home